Thursday 21 March 2013

Confession of a mascara junkie

Indeed, this is still part of my decluttering series, only this is for my mascara obsession. I will have to admit that when it comes to mascara, I am guilty for not tossing them away as frequently as I should. But I do sanitize my mascara once in a while to keep them fresh(-er). But since I have come to the realization that, if I don't use them up or at least toss them away after a few months of usage, I will never get to try new mascara (well, not entirely true because I always keep buying new mascaras). I guess the point is, I really shouldn't have a million mascaras around and not using them while they are at their full capacities. So in my effort to declutter my mascara stash, here I present the empties...... 

Before I begin, here are a few points to keep in mind: 
  • I almost always use waterproof mascara because they hold my curls better 
  • I look for volumizing rather than lengthening 
  • Black all the way, or blackest black 
  • I usually do not like synthetic, plastic kind of brush 
  • I use the Shu Uemura eyelash curler before applying mascara 




  • L'Oreal voluminous waterproof 
    - This is a rather popular one on the youtube/blogger world and I admit I agree to a certain degree. I enjoyed it a lot more while it got dryer. This is one that I would keep in mind for replenishment.  

  • Make up for ever aqua smoky lash 
    - SO MANY people RAVED about this mascara, naming it their holy grail. I just could not make myself love it. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that it is waterproof formula and most people referred to the original formula. But as I mentioned, I use waterproof formula all the way. This mascara just makes my lashes so clumpy and I usually do not mind a bit of clumpy-ness. However, I found this mascara really made my lashes so unnatural. Plus, it made my lashes straight. To me, this is a "miss". :S  

  • Heroine make volume & curl mascara
    - An Asian drugstore popular mascara and this is not my first tube. I love this mascara and it is one of my all-time favourites. Only downside is it is hard to remove. I also found this does not transfer even in humid weather. So this is a trustworthy one.

     
  • Maybelline full 'n soft waterproof  
    - Too natural for my taste. Did not give enough impact to my lashes in my opinion but I guess it is supposed to be like that? 

  • Diorshow maximizer lash plumping serum 
    - Sometimes when I fancy, I do use a lash primer because it will help those not-so-great mascara to perform better, as well as conditioning my poor lashes. I do like this one. I can't say if I like this more than my Shiseido one but I think this serum is more separating than the Shiseido mascara base. However, the Shiseido mascara base holds curls better, at least for my lashes and at least for the old formula. I have yet to test out the new nourishing mascara base from them. 

  • Estee Lauder sumptuous bold volume lifting mascara 
    - This was a rather surprising find. I got this sample from my friend randomly and I honestly did not expect much because I have never heard any reviews about Estee's mascaras. But OMG, I absolutely love it!!! By far my favourite in the non-waterproof mascara world. The main reason I chose waterproof is for curl-holding properties. But this mascara separates, volumnize and hold curls perfectly! I really want to purchase the full size! 

  • Lancome hypnose waterproof 
    - Who doesn't know about Lancome's mascaras really? And this one? I adore. On top of my favourite mascara list. I am really curious to try out other of their mascaras. 

  • Tarte lights camera splashes waterproof 
    - I did enjoy it while I had it. But towards the later stage of its service period, I just don't find it to be amazing anymore. It could have been me just holding onto it for too long. Anyhow, it's a good mascara in my book but I probably would not repurchase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment